Saturday, May 31, 2008

The first post

I am sitting here thinking about how to write this. I could start it with the traditional “dear family and friends, etc”, or I could make it super informal and all.

But since I’m really not all that talented at writing, I’ll keep it simple.

As you probably know, Peter, Tricia, and yours truly (that’d be me, Swami, Samuel, Sammy, Sam; whatever you please as long as it starts with an S and is masculine) are going to the People’s Republic this summer with Bring Me Hope (their website is bringmehope.org). I’ll give a quick preview of the broad happenings that will hopefully occur.

Pete and I will be leaving on the second of July, missing Independence Day here by a couple days. I guess we’ll have to watch the fireworks in China (I’ve heard they have fireworks a lot over there).

Anyways, Pete and I will swing through Beijing airport and take a left turn down to Nanchang. We’ll spend a couple days there and go to Harry and Mary’s wedding (Harry’s one of the translators from last year). Then we’ll hop back on the jet to Beijing and hang there for the remaining 6-and-a-half weeks.

Midway into July, the first gang of kids is going to show up in Beijing (the first camp in Nanchang will have started the previous week). I’m sure I’m not going to be able to handle it all; I guess that’s why we trust in God, right?

The last week of July, Tricia is gonna pop out of that 747 along with her traveling companions and join the club. For 2 weeks she’ll be buddies with orphans.

After Tricia leaves, swami and Peety are going to hang out there for another couple 3 weeks. I (it’s still me, Sam) am going to be zooming back here on Saturday, August 16th, the day after the last camp ends. Pete (as far as I know) will take off a few days following that.

As I learn details, I will put them up here so you can swim through my messes of words more often. J

Like I said above, I personally really have no idea how this is going to impact me. I just hope I am able to be what God wants me to be through this trip. Peter has been to china twice so far, and this is Tricia’s and my first time.

Thank you so VERY much all of you who are supporting us financially and through your prayers. It has been immensely encouraging and exciting for us to begin this experience along with you all.

Again, thanks and we’re gonna be putting way too many pictures on here. Get ready!by the way this is my family up at a cabin this last december- we kinda have weird faces in this picture

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey that is a good letter sam the man :) hopefully i'll be there next year!! i'm gonna try, i'll be praying for you guys
Rachel Yoder

sam said...

thanks rache :)

Nicole 妮可 said...

YES!!! What an awesome blog!
Good times~

The Chmelars said...

wow you actually posted. you don't know how often nic and i have come here waiting and whatching. love, love, love, the post! you have a great way of writing.
keep it commin'
tiff

Dillon H said...

I'm looking forward to keeping up with you guys! GL in china!

~DH